03/06/2013

Maintenance - Flat tyre creativity


Yesterday morning while watering the plants, I noticed the car had a flat tyre. It was Sunday so that was a relieve as I did not have to go to work plus the fact that the Peugeot 407 had block my workhorse, the KIA Spectra. Although Sundays, the tyre shop opens in the morning so that was another relieve because it is usually not busy on Sundays. I have removed tyres from a number of cars so this is not something knew to me. The chrome plastic accessory that covers the alloy bolts got me by surprise because all the while I thought they were chrome bolts. No problem, there is a yellow plastic tool clip to remove them. First time for everything. With the car partially jacked with tyre still on the ground to give me better grip, I removed the bolts. From experience, mechanics tend to over-screw bolts to the point it is impossible to unscrew them with the normal tool but not in this case, it was simple  and I would say, even for a woman. That done, the car was jacked until the tyre was about 1 inch above the ground to enable me to easily remove the tyre. Then came the main problem... the alloy rim through heat had "glued" itself to the car resisting all effort to remove it. I tried and tried with all my force but it just would not come of. I needed a rubber hammer to knock the alloy rim but never had one other than that I would have to call for the breakdown team and that's the price of calling a tow-truck. Where there's a will, there's a way. I switched on my thinking cap then swap the spare tyre for the rubber hammer and nudge it hard here and there, initially at the tyre but to no avail. Then hitting the edge of the alloy rim a few times, the tyre fell off. It pays to be a MacGyver. Cause of flat tyre? A small nail. Repair cost? RM 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment