07/11/2014

Modification - Mid and Rear Mufflers

Custom Mid Muffler
Custom Rear Muffler
Not much space at the rear to accommodate larger rear muffler

My many years of car modification taught me: modify one component of the car with higher performance parts and it ends up showing weakness of another components because the stock car is factory manufactured compromised to balance performance, handling, comfort and economy. If you want the best of both worlds, you end up paying for a more expensive customized car. I suggest if you have the money, the better choice is its bigger cc engine brother because it was factory researched and factory tuned.

The reality is that I cannot afford such the performance car so ended customizing the car to squeeze out some juicy performance. Earlier on, I had a custom 4-2-1 extractor made, built from scratch because there wasn't one in the local car accessory industry. A second production could shave 20% of the selling price. But as passion crept day by day, I just had to have it .

After 2 days of trial, irritating resonance was clearly heard and felt from 1,500 rpm to 2,500 rpm, and both mid and rear mufflers were customized with tougher stainless steel to cancel out that resonance. Torque noticeably improved by a large margin but the car must be driven to be appreciated. Improve performance is not consistent throughout the power band but gets better, the faster the car is pushed. I am more than please with its mid-range performance which I value most.

No comments:

Post a Comment